Cost of Living Support Icon


It is the Vale of Glamorgan Council's responsibility to take reasonable steps to prevent water from running off the adopted highway onto private property

However, remember flooding is a natural occurrence and no drainage system or flood protection measures can give absolute protection from all flooding events.


The emergency response to flooding falls primarily to the emergency services working with the local authority. We coordinate evacuation, and as a last resort we can provide emergency temporary accommodation and other social services.


Community Resilience 

To help improve the resilience of the communities in the Vale of Glamorgan, the Council have worked with our partners and produced a Community Flood Plan and Extreme Weather Guidance. The document below contains guidance on extreme weather and how to prepare a Community Flood Plan, this can be completed by households and as a community or flood group.


Community Flood Plan and Extreme Weather Guidance


You can use Natural Resources Wales website for further information on Community Flood Plans.





We do not supply sandbags. You should make your own arrangements to purchase sandbags from DIY stores and local builders merchants. Please note you are also responsible for the disposal of used sandbags. They can be contaminated by flood water, sewage, oil or fuel and may need to be treated as contaminated waste.


Report Flooding on a Highway

If a highway in the Vale of Glamorgan has flooded please contact us:

24-hour Floodwatch

Natural Resources Wales has a 24-hour floodwatch and flood line number:

  • 0845 988 1188

Property Already Flooded

If water is already flooding your property, please contact the Fire Service:

  • 999

Ruptured Water Main

If flood is caused by a burst water main contact Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water:

  • 0800 085 3968

Please note: If you want to report an overflowing public foul and surface water sewer please call the relevant water company; they manage their own network of public foul and surface water sewers.


Owner or Occupier of Property

The first responsibility for protection of property in the event of flooding lies with the owner or occupier of the property. The owner or occupier is also responsible for any subsequent losses, repairs or remedial measures necessary.


Owners or occupiers living near water courses or adjoining areas / fields which give rise to excessive water run-off should take appropriate precautions in advance of a forecast of bad weather as highway drainage systems are not designed for and cannot cope with, run-off from adjoining fields.


For more information on Planning, Managing and Recovering from a Flood please see the links below.