Cost of Living Support Icon

Planning and Building Control

Information and advice about the planning process and the latest planning applications, national and local planning policies and guidance, and our Building Control Service.


Make a Planning Application

  • How to seek pre-application advice

  • Apply for planning permission

  • Download application forms

  • Check you've got everything you need

Pay Planning Application Fee

View or Comment on Planning Applications

Support, object to or comment on planning applications. View details of current and previous planning applications and appeals in the Vale of Glamorgan on the Planning Register and search planning application maps.


Planning Register



Make an appeal against refusal of planning permission, non-determination or enforcement notice direct to

Planning and Environment Decisions Wales (PEDW)


View a current appeal on the

Planning Register


View the enforcement appeal documents submitted in respect of the current Barry Biomass Enforcement Appeal:

Barry Biomass Enforcement Appeal

Planning Enforcement

Report a breach of Planning Control.


Planning Committee

Details of Planning Committee, Meetings, Reports and Associated Documents.


Planning Policy

Policies and guidance for development in the Vale of Glamorgan.


A Guide to Planning front cover (English)



Information about Listed Buildings, County Treasures and Conservation Areas in the Vale of Glamorgan.


Trees and Hedges

Make an application for works to trees and hedges or complain about a high hedge.


Developer Contributions - Section 106

Information regarding Section 106 agreements and implementation.




Make a Building Control Application

Do I need Building Regulation approval? How to apply for Building Regulation Approval, download forms and check you've got everything required.


View Building Control Applications

View all Building Control applications submitted to the Council since 1996 on the Council's online Building Control Register.




Report a Dangerous Structure

A dangerous building or structure can be anything on or about a building or structure that may be a danger to members of the public, for example, loose or falling roof tiles, walls or fences that are in danger of collapse, unstable chimneys.


A building that is reported as dangerous will be inspected the same day or within an hour if it is an emergency, by a surveyor on duty 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. 


If you wish to report a dangerous building or structure, please telephone 01446 704842 during office hours or 01446 700111 outside normal office hours. If a dangerous building or structure presents a serious and immediate threat to public safety it should be reported to the police by dialling 999.


Vale of Glamorgan Building Excellence Awards

Each year the Building Control Group organise an award scheme, which recognises good standards of building as well as environmental, communication and disability requirements.


Find out more about these awards and previous winners.



The Council reports annually to Welsh Government on its performance. The report can be viewed here:  


Party Walls 

The Party Wall Act covers various work that is going to be carried out directly to an existing party wall or structure, a new building at or astride the boundary line between properties and excavation within 3 or 6 metres of a neighbouring building(s) or structure(s), depending on the depth of the hole or proposed foundations.  This is a civil matter that the Council does not administer.


More information can be found on the website.



Contact Us:


Please note you can call the planning duty officer 8.30am – 5pm, Monday to Wednesday for general enquiries, or you can email your query which will be responded to as soon as is practical. However it is recommended that for any detailed or application specific queries you should arrange an appointment directly with the relevant case officer.


Building Control


Contact your Building Control Officer


In Person at:

By appointment at The Dock Office:

The Vale of Glamorgan Council, Dock Office, Barry Docks, Barry, CF63 4RT 

  • Monday to Wednesday: 8.30am - 5pm